Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Photowalk with a model and building rapport


Few days ago, I had a model shoot with my good friend Mary. It was unplanned and was very rushed. The shoot formalized before a long chat with her.



She was complaining about her other shoots. It seems that her photographer doesn't know what he/she's doing. She told me that all the photographer did was press the trigger and that was it. There was no directing, no chatting, no building of rapport.

Building rapport is very important in this industry. Most of the time you'll be working with new people and its very important that you build a relationship with them. You can't be just "pose nice", "pose serious" or "look at the camera". You have to direct them precisely and explain to them the output that you are trying to achieve. Talk to them. They are people after all.

Going back, we had out photowalk/model shoot somewhere in the metro. I'm saying that its a photowalk because we were literally walking while shooting. We'd shoot in one place then move on to the next location. I had minimal gear. Just a body and a 50mm lens. No reflector / flash were used. I exercised my eyes in looking for good quality light.

We were talking all through-out the shoot. I was explaining to her the output that I wanted to achieve and we were adjusting based on the limitations of our surroundings. This wasn't my first time shooting with Mary. You might be saying that it was easy for me compared to the photographer that she ranted about because I have worked with her in the past. But if you think about it, I won't be able to get a second shoot with her if we haven't built rapport in the past.

Personally, I think I did well. I like output for this set despite the lack to concept / planning.

Here are some of the outputs.






The rest of the set can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment